Thursday 18 July 2013

Summer Reading List

Hello,
So it seems my purchasing problem has now spread beyond the reach of clothing and nail polish to books as well.
I really enjoy reading when I have time, which isn't often so when I go on holiday I tend to make up for the rest of the year. The holiday before last I read 10 books in 14 days! Pretty good going I think ;)

So I thought for this post I'd share with you the books I'm planning to read over the summer, providing I can fit them all in my suitcase of course!

  1. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn : Apparently this book was a #1 bestseller in the US last year. It sounds like it's going to be quite an engaging thriller so is something to get my teeth into.
  2. The Five People you meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom : About 10 years old, this book is about how our lives can affect people without us even realising. I think this is quite an uplifting one, and it was recommended to me by a friend so it should be good.
  3. The Light Between Oceans - M. L. Stedman : Described as "Heartbreaking" this one might be a bit of a weepy one, but I'm all for a bit of self-loathing every now and again.
  4. Stoner - John Williams : This book was written in the 60's but is only now supposedly getting the recognition it deserves. The reviews I have read about this book look promising, and it is apparently the tale of "a life lived flat". I really don't seem to choose cheery books do I?
     
  5. An Offer You Can't Refuse - Jill Mansell : This is the most traditional "chick-lit" that I've bought for my trip, which I think may be a bit more of a light relief from some of the heavier choices.
  6. The Bling Ring - Nancy Jo Sales : By now you've probably heard of the Bling Ring, a real-life story about a bunch of thieving Hollywood teens. It's out now in cinemas starring Emma Watson, and this side along book contains accounts of the crimes in detail. Should be pretty juicy.
  7. Reconstructing Amelia - Kimberley McCreight : Described as this year's Gone Girl, it's about a mother who has to find out whether her daughter committed suicide, or whether there were other forces at play.
  8. Thinking With Type - Ellen Lupton : I bought this book as a way of developing my growing interest in typography. I doubt this one will make it into the suitcase, but it will be useful for the design elements of my course.
  9. Mastering Fashion Marketing - Tim Jackson and David Shaw : Another one for my uni course. As we are expected to do wider reading around our subject, this could be very useful in the future.
  10. Fashion Babylon - Imogen Edward-Jones & Anonymous : This author works with anonymous insiders to present exposes on "glamorous" industries. I've read another of these before and loved how real anecdotes are told in a fictional setting. Looking forward to this one!

All of these books should be available on Amazon, that's where I got most of mine from. I also got a few of them 2nd hand on amazon, which can often work out pretty cheaply, if you're on a budget.
So what are you reading this summer? Have you got any recommendations for what else I should read. Let me know!

J xx

No comments:

Post a Comment